Thursday 26 November 2015

Jane plan food - images and opinion

Whilst my other posts are about my journey, I'm going to talk about the actual food on this post. To clarify, I have not received any gift/sponsorship - I simply want to share my views and experiences. 

In my first month I asked Jane Plan to choose for me and had much more variety in terms of breakfasts. I still have a variety in terms of lunches and dinners

If you do you have any questions, please comment, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Breakfasts:


Above is the Branberry flakes with strawberry (128kcal) with 75ml of skimmed milk (26kcal). This is one of the lower calorie breakfasts on the plan but it is really tasty. I also very much enjoy this cereal with natural yoghurt. 





Above is the Toffee Pecan Granola (200kcal) with 75ml of skimmed milk (26kcal). This granola really does not taste like a diet breakfast...I love it! In my second month I ordered 28 portions of this and nothing else. This month, because my calories have reduced, I've mixed up my breakfasts and I'm having some of the Branberry Flakes (above) so that I can reduce my calorie intake. On the days I'm having a lower calorie dinner I'll have the Toffee Pecan Granola and on higher calorie days I'll compensate with Branberry.

UPDATE: thanks to Ceri (@lifewithbumps)  on Twitter I tried both the above with hot milk and they were delicious and great for cold mornings!!


Lunches: 



The Tuna Pasta Salad (253kcal). You should really have it with some fresh salad, but if you can't be bothered then this is what it looks like. I like this as a super easy lunch. It's nothing to rave about but it's perfectly pleasant.

The Salmon and Dill (154Kcal). It's pictured with a handful of cherry tomatoes - I would usually have some greenery with it to make it look more appealing and give it more balance as a dish, but I've run out. I really love dill, but I don't really love this. Its palatable, but I am not ordering again next month. I think it's tinned salmon, which I'm not a fan of. The other fish lunches are steaks (I think that's how you describe it - a lump!). As you can see there is also some beans, potato and tomato in the pot.

UPDATE: I had a much nicer one today and the salmon seemed much better. Perhaps it needs the side salad - 




My favourite lunch!! The Moroccan Salad - with salmon and bulgar wheat (298kcal). I have had a lot of these - they taste as good every time. This is by far my favourite lunch, if not meal, on the Jane Plan. It's just delicious. I don't need accompaniment with it, but it goes well with most salad. You don't need dressing because this tastes so good alone. 

Dinners:


The Chicken Korma with Rice (322kcal). This is really delicious. When I first saw it it looked awful and I thought the portion was tiny but I now love it and have it as my Friday/Saturday treat every week. You can see in the pic, because of the way it's packed, the rice sticks together on the top in the packaging. However, as you can also see on the bottom it's not stuck together and it separates easily. I would totally recommend this and I order it every month. I haven't worked out a vegetable which would go with it so I would welcome suggestions. I wasn't so keen on the Tikka so I won't be able to picture it as I don't order it anymore. But I would recommend trying it as this is a personal preference thing. 

Above is the Vegetable Chilli (150kcal). It is delicious. I didn't feel like I was missing out on meat. Interestingly it had potato wedges in it which I hadn't been expecting and were a very nice surprise. They added another dimension or texture to the dish and also slowed down the eating which is a bonus with these sort of dishes. I will definitely re-order this. It's the lowest calorie dinner I think I've had too, so that could be useful on days where you're going 'off-plan' at lunch.  In fact I've just ordered 5 for my next delivery for over the Christmas period to help me save on calories for those naughtier days.

This was my first taste of the Tuna Pasta Bake (248kcal). I had it with some lazy Sunday pre-prepared veg from Waitrose (68kcal). It was really tasty. It tasted quite strongly of sweet corn, which for me was great, but some may not like so much. In addition the pasta was very soft, again, for me that's fine but I know some that wouldn't like that. I would recommend and will reorder. 



Above is the Classic Beef Lasagne (299kcal) with roasted vegetables using Fry Light (1kcal spray) and lazy garlic. The lasagne is difficult to get out the tub and still looking nice, but it really is delicious. You wouldn't know it was low calorie. The vegetables weren't as nice as they would have been in oil, but dipped in the lasagne they were delicious! It was so nice to have something other than steamed veg thanks to Yvonne Hay (@yvonneh69) who recommended it on Twitter. 


The Vegetable Lasagne (233kcal). This really hit the spot tonight. I've had it before and I didn't love it quite as much last time. This time though, it really was delicious. It seemed a bit oily when I first took it out of the packaging but it tasted AMAZING! I wanted more. Though there was enough. I worked late so was hungry and couldn't be bothered to make veg with it. 


The Chicken Napolitano (207kcal). This is one of the lower calorie meals. However, I really, really like this. I didn't have any motivation to cook last night so this is just with Birdseye microwave steamed vegetables. I like the source so much it doesn't matter what I have it with. If I put the sauce over it I like it.


I had corgette spaghetti for the first time yesterday. I had it with the Chicken Neapolitano. It was a totally different meal - it was lovely. With quite a lot of black pepper it was a very different flavour dimension. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought the Tuna Pasta Bake and meatballs were nice, but the Chicken Korma and Aloo Saag were awful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many months did you do and how much did you lose x

    ReplyDelete